Thursday, July 30, 2015

Classic Crab cakes ....

I made these crab cakes last Sunday and they
are delicious
I always look for recipes that have the least amount of filler
because I like actually tasting the crab meat, not all
of the other stuff
these were perfect

here's the recipe with my notes

1 1/2 lb cooked crabmeat
6 tablespoons mayo (I think 5 would have been enough)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (I used regular because we eat 
no sugar)
1 cup panko bread crumbs (I used more)
1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley (fresh is best)
2 green onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil (I used olive oil)
1/4 cup butter

Place crabmeat in a large bowl. Add mayo, mustard, 1/4 cup of the panko bread crumbs, parsley, onions, garlic, 1 tsp kosher salt and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper. Fold to combine.....add eggs, fold to combine

Form your cakes...because you don't have a bunch of fillers, you
have to really handle these gently or they fall apart
lay on a tray with wax paper. Cover with plastic and put in
fridge for at least 30 minutes. This will help to firm them up

Have a plate with the rest of the panko bread crumbs. This is where I had to add a little more than what the recipe called for
In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Coat each side of
the crab cakes and add to skillet. Press lightly with a spatula
cook 1 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Transfer to a tray and top each crab cake with a slice of butter.

seriously, these are the best!
a couple of days later I was in a local restaurant and I ordered 
crab cakes.....full of filler!!! No where near as good as these!

I remembered to take a picture halfway through eating




later.....

No comments: